Bringing the epic quest of hobbits, humans, and elves to a close, The Return of the King marked the end of a huge filming achievement. The final The Lord of the Rings film closed a long journey for actors, extras and film-workers from around Aotearoa New Zealand and the world.
- Features the characters Gandalf and Aragorn
- The obverse of each coin acknowledges New Zealand as the home of Middle-earth
- Designed by New Zealand artist Sacha Lees
- Low worldwide mintage of 300
- Presented in an elegant display case with a certificate of authenticity.
Minted from 0.999 silver, this coin features an artwork by New Zealand artist Sacha Lees that nods to the coronation scene in The Return of the King. In one of the emotional peaks of the trilogy, Aragorn is crowned by Gandalf, before he is reunited with Elf princess Arwen. The obverse features a portrait of King Charles III and ‘Middle-earth’ setting these coins apart from other New Zealand commemoratives.