This $5.00 Definitive Stamp depicts the executive wing extension to Parliament Buildings in Wellington, commonly known as the "Beehive".
Only part of the original complex for New Zealand's Parliament Buildings was constructed, and these were occupied in 1918. The complete design included a south wing, a dome over the main entrance hall and statuary. In the early 1960s it was decided to provide a modern building as an extension of the old buildings, as the accommodation in Parliament Buildings had been inadequate for a number of years.
The Beehive, designed by the New Zealand Government Architect from a concept proposed by prominent British architect, the late Sir Basil Spence, is a circular 11-storey building made of concrete faced with granite and marble, and has a copper roof. As well as Ministerial offices, the Beehive contains a banqueting hall, Bellamy's restaurant, a cinema, the Prime Minister's suite and the Cabinet room.
This stamp issue first appeared in New Zealand Post Stamp Bulletin No. 26 in October 1981.
Acknowledgments: Bulletin scanned and provided by John Biddlecombe of the New Zealand Society of Great Britain. Their web site offers further information useful to those interested in the stamps and postal history of New Zealand. Link: http://www.nzsgb.org.uk/
|Date of Issue:||2 December 1981|
|Designer:||R M Conly, Waikanae|
|Printers:||Heraclio Fournier, Spain|
|Stamp Size:||25.5mm x 29.5mm|
|Sheet Size:||100 stamps per sheet|
|Perforation Gauge:||12.75 x 13|