Doris Lusk is one of a small group of important New Zealand painters who emerged during the 1930s, '40s and '50s. Throughout a highly productive painting career that spanned five decades, Lusk explored both landscape painting and portraiture.
Born in Dunedin in 1916, Lusk trained at the Dunedin King Edward Technical College from 1934 to 1939. During the '40s she spent time painting in Central Otago and in the Nelson region with another great artist, Colin McCahon.
In the early '40s Lusk moved to Christchurch and married Dermot Holland. She raised three children while continuing to paint and teach pottery part time at Risingholme. In 1947 she exhibited with an association called ‘The Group’, like-minded artists wishing to break with tradition.
During the '60s Lusk began experimenting with the softness of watercolours and in 1967 she won the National Bank Art Award for a watercolour portrait of mother and child. The previous year she had been appointed to the University of Canterbury, School of Fine Arts, where she taught until her retirement in 1981.
Shortly after her death in 1990 she was posthumously honoured with the Governor General Art Award for her outstanding contribution to New Zealand art.
This stamp issue was a recognition and celebration of a wonderful New Zealand artist. It featured four quite different examples of her work spanning the period of 1948 to 1982.
The first, The Lake, Tuai, 1948, is oil on gesso on textured board. The second, The Pumping Station, 1958, is oil on newspaper on board. The third, Arcade Awning, St. Marks Square, Venice (2), 1976, is pencil and watercolour on paper on card. The fourth, Tuam St. II, 1982, is acrylic, pencil and coloured pencil on canvas.
These paintings had been chosen for the stamp issue to provide an illustration of the various different artistic styles used by Lusk - and their contribution to her unique place in the history of New Zealand art.
Product Listing for New Zealand Art - Doris Lusk
Click on image to enlarge.
|Date of issue:||16 June 1999|
|Number of stamps:||Four|
|Denominations and designs:||40c The Lake, Tuai (1948); $1.00 The Pumping STation (1958); $1.50 Arcade Awning, St. Marks Square, Venice (2), (1976); and $1.80 Tuam St. II (1982)|
|Stamps and first day cover designed by:||Hamish Thompson, Wellington, New Zealand|
|Printer and process:||Southern Colour Print, Dunedin, New Zealand by lithography|
|Number of colours:||Four process colours|
|Stamp size and format:||44.29mm x 30mm (horizontal)|
|Paper type:||103gsm red phosphor stamp paper|
|Number of stamps per sheet:||100|
|Cost of unaddressed first day cover:||$5.20|
|Special blocks:||Plate/imprint, positional or value blocks could be obtained by purchasing at least six stamps. Colour blocks ('traffic lights') were included in plate blocks. Barcode blocks were available in both A and B formats.|
|Period of sale:||These stamps remained on sale until 15 June 1999.|