On 18 August 1819 the Reverend Samuel Marsden made his first landing in New Zealand at Kerikeri in the Bay of Islands and, with the agreement of the local Maori Chief Hongi Heke, marked out land for the erection of the first mission buildings. This stamp issue commemorated early European settlement in New Zealand and coincided with the celebrations held to mark the 150th Anniversary of the founding of Kerikeri, the oldest European settlement in New Zealand still in existence.
One stamp features a scene of the Bay of Islands and the other a scene of Kerikeri depicting the oldest existing house in New Zealand, built in 1819, and the old stone Mission Store built in 1833. The photograph on the 4c stamp was supplied by Mr Hardcastle, Chairman, Kerikeri 150th Anniversary Organisation. The photograph illustrated on the 6c stamp was supplied by the Illustrations Editor, New Zealand Weekly News.
New Zealand's oldest house, built in 1819 and the old stone Mission Store built in 1833.
Scene of the Bay of Islands.
|Date of Issue:||18 August 1969|
|Designers:||New Zealand Post Office, Wellington|
|Printers:||Thomas De La Rue, England|
|Stamp Size:||41mm x 25mm|
|Sheet Size:||100 stamps per sheet|
|Performance Gauge:||13.25 x 13.75|
|Paper Type:||Chalk surfaced, multiple NZ and star watermark|