Hundreds of years ago New Zealand was home to a variety of unique animals that are sadly now extinct. The 2016 New Zealand Annual Coin features the fearsome and fantastic Haast’s eagle - the greatest predator to ever grace our skies.
- The only $5 New Zealand legal tender coin to be issued annually
- Minted from 0.999 silver
- Designed by renowned artist Dave Burke
- Depicts a close-up of the Haast’s eagle in the background, with the impressive bird swooping down to catch its prey in the foreground
- Rim of the coin features the Māori and English name
- Limited worldwide mintage of 1,500.
This 1oz silver proof coin has been designed by renowned Māori artist Dave Burke and features a visually impactful design. The coin depicts a close-up of the Haast’s eagle in the background, with the impressive bird swooping down to catch its prey in the foreground. The rim of the coin features both the Māori and English name of this extinct species.
This legal tender coin is the only $5 silver proof commemorative coin to be issued annually. The coin comes with an individually numbered certificate that contains further detail about the Haast’s eagle. With a low worldwide mintage of just 1,500 coins, this beautiful coin would make a perfect addition to any New Zealand coin collection.
|Denomination:||Five New Zealand dollars|
|Obverse design:||Portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank-Broadley, United Kingdom|
|Reverse design:||Haast's Eagle|
|Designed by:||Dave Burke, New Zealand|
|Worldwide mintage limit:||1,500|
|Mint:||BH Mayer’s Kunstprageanstalt GmbH|